Monday, November 18, 2013

DIY Wedding Gifts- Ring Holder

*super easy to make*

I know...I know this wedding season is pretty much over, but the holiday will fly by and next thing you know weddings will be right around the corner. So get ready!

For wedding gifts I try to stick to the registry. Why else would couples spend the time making one and who really needs 5 of the same kitchen gadgets right?  But for all those other occasions surrounding the wedding celebration I like to put my own personal touch on the gifts. 


 I was perusing magazines and saw a picture of a DIY own ring holder but no directions. I thought I can make this! So off I went to Hobby Lobby to find supplies. 

This is a great little bridal shower or engagement gift. I like to send it to the bride right before the wedding as part of "the big day is almost here" package. This project is quick and easy and won't break the bank!


Supplies: small picture frame (2"X3" works well), spray adhesive, corsage pins, scissors, 3mm craft foam, fabric-satin or anything you like
   * Hobby Lobby has a great selection of very elegant small frames. The frames are often on sale or there is a single item coupon you can show on your smart phone from their website. 
  *3mm foam is best otherwise it's too flimsy or too thick and back won't close


Step 1: Disassemble your frame, you won't need the glass at all for the project. Use the paper insert as a template for your foam shape and fabric. 
*Hint I usually cut fabric a bit larger just so I know it fully covers and trim it later


Step 2: attach fabric to foam using spray adhesive  This stuff is super tacky and a little goes a long way. Be aware of where you spray it, anything that comes in contact it will be sticky for a long time. Currently I have a thumb covered in fabric fuzz ugh. Smooth out any bubbles or creases and trim fabric. 
   * This step is optional but I've noticed if you don't tack down fabric it can bubble a bit after putting it in frame and may not be the look you are going for. 



Step 3: Put foam into frame and secure backing. Bend corsage pin near the top 1/3 into a 45 degree angle.



Step 4: Decide if you want frame to be vertical or horizontal and slide pin through fabric/foam layer leaving enough room at the top for the ring to rest comfortably.
Voila you are done!





No comments:

Post a Comment