Saturday, November 23, 2013

#9 Catching Fire

 My original list item was to go to a midnight movie premier which surprisingly I've never done.  After a grueling 2 weeks of traveling to 2 grad school interviews, 6 exams, 40 hours of work and 25+ hours of class I thought this movie would be the perfect motivation and celebration of surviving it all.

Midnight wasn't the 1st showing option so I went to the non curfew breaking 8pm Thursday night showing of the Catching Fire.  Not as exciting as other movie premiers I've heard of, but it was fun to be in a full theater to see every ones reactions. There only were a few people dressed up as tributes, but the movie more than made up for lack of enthusiasm in the line.
waiting in line with all the tweens

Don't worry I won't have any spoilers in this post so fear not and read on. Catching Fire is my favorite book in the series and I've read it over 4 times. I love how the characters evolve in this story and more insight to their world is developed. I only hoped that this movie would capture the intense emotions and  the simmering agitation of the population as well as in the book.

I was a bit disappointed with the first movie. I felt it lacked some depth of Katniss without hearing her inner monologue and it focused way to much on forcing a love triangle. Plus their entrance costumes were really lame. Not everything can be as great as what you imagine from the book I guess.

Catching Fire glowing embers entrance costume..much better!
I was not disappointed with this movie at all and I would even venture to say it's better than the first one. It seemed like all aspects from actors, costumes and script were really hitting their stride with this movie. If you haven't seen the first one watch it first, there is just too much to know before watching this one.
I love all of these!
The costume designer Trish Summerville totally nailed it! The costumes were one of my favorite parts.  They were beautifully done and really intricate. Effie Trinket is wearing Alexander McQueen from Autumn/Winter 2012 in the above purple dress. The Monarch dress was awesome, and all her shoes don't get me started!
Those are hand painted feathers. McQueen Spring 2011

My other favorite part about this movie is that the characters all seemed to have matured and grown into thier parts. The new characters they introduced were spot on and returning characters seemed a lot more comfortable in their roles. I have know doubt that Woody Allen is the best Haymitch and President Snow I can finally detest, he was just too nice in the last one for me.

This movie follows the book very closely with a few additions like the last movie. It's mainly more development behind the scenes of game creation with President Snow and Plutarch Heavensbee. I think this addition really helps tie the story together more from an overall story line view.

Anyways this movie really is about all of the characters, not just Katniss. It was entertaining and if you liked the book I"m sure you'll love the movie. It's a bit more violent and darker than the first one so I don't think it's best to take the little ones to this. I am curious to see how the other two movies will play out.


If you haven't seen the trailer yet take a peek

No comments:

Post a Comment