Friday, November 29, 2013

# 25 & 29 Rock Climbing Class

I really like to try adventure sports. I've been zip lining through West Virginia and Costa Rica, ocean kayaking, cayoneering (rapeling down water falls), hiking, and climbed a mountain on a snowmobile just to name a few.


My all time favorite though is white water rafting. I took a class in college fell in love and try to go every couple of years! This was a trip where we went "surfing".  I actually managed to stay in the boat.
Kendall Cliffs
I wanted to try something new and spotted this rock gym near where I was living earlier in the year. I had been once when I was in middle school and had a blast so thought it might be fun to try again.  So headed out for a study break and met up with W for an adventure date night.
W and I took the Rock 101 course and got certified to belay so now we don't have to worry about finding someone to do it at the gym. Sweet! plus bonus another item off the list...go to a fun class!
another item completed
Rock Climbing was a great trust building date. You really have to believe your partner is there for you if you fall (which I did). You also have to support each other and solve problems together. I do think it's funny how I claim I'm not afraid of heights, yet every time I'm strapped into a harness and about 20 feet off the ground have that fleeting immobilizing fear until someone snaps me out of it. Thanks W for all the encouragement! It was nice to work together and step out of a comfort zone, plus it gave us some good memories to laugh at later together. We will definitely be going back soon...well after our muscles soreness wears off.
lots of walls to choose from
 Kendall cliffs is attached to Appalachian Back Packers store. Kendall Cliffs is the only professionally-designed and built rock gym in Ohio. The  gym has a combination of textured plywood and “natural” rock surfaces with 7,000 square feet of climbing surface with a peak height of 35 feet. The staff/instructors were super nice and it is a great facility! Lots of walls, automatic belay machines & bouldering cave. We went at 5 pm nice and slow by 7 pm the place was jam packed! There hours vary by season so check out the website for open times. 

Here are a few of the weekly specials: 
Monday Ladies Night 

Tuesday: College/Safety Forces/Active Duty Night 

Thursday: $10.00 Thursdays 

Friday: Family Night





No comments:

Post a Comment