Monday, March 31, 2014

#21.3 bueller..bueller


I couldn't help but think of my adventure to the art museum was a bit like Ferris Bueller's day off. There was playing hooky from studying and delicious local ethnic food. Sadly there wasn't a parade with awesome 80's dancing or skinny dipping in a neighbors pool. But I did look at priceless works of art and the new architecture of the museum is pretty similar to Cameron's' garage.
hmm both exquisite examples of artwork, but I'd take the Ferrari
Cleveland is well known for it's art museum and for the past 12 years has totally renovated the building. Well January 2014 it is officially completed and I will say it is as beautiful as the precious works of art it holds.
New atrium area
As you walk in the front doors it's the same dark and heavy stone entrance but keep going about 500 ft and the main atrium is the complete opposite. It's so bright and airy it took my breath away for a moment from the shear size and design.
mixing of the old and new

My favorite parts are the glass wings on either side of the building. I feel like I'm floating and I love seeing the statues blend in so well with the city in the background.There are a lot of the same favorite areas, but added some great elements for kids, interactive and technological enhancements and new organization of collections.
Asian wing
the kids area....reading & exploration 
armor court
interactive exhibit wall...you can create a tour and load on to your ipad


Walking through the medieval and ancient rooms I was thrilled to find that the cases are so well done they almost look like there is no glass in them.


I love a good art museum and can spend hours getting lost in works or ancient civilizations past. I like to use the artwork as a mini snapshot into past lives. As is Ferris' famous words: Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in while, you could miss it. I enjoy taking a break from the real world and reflecting on the beauty.

 Cleveland has a wonderful collection and along with the Met and Minneapolis' is one of my all time favorite art museums to come back to over and over! It is always free and has ample parking both on the street and garage. Wednesdays and Fridays it's open till 9 and the first Friday of the month there are MIX events. Usually DJ and other fun events in the atrium. Check out the homepage here.

No comments:

Post a Comment