Tuesday, March 25, 2014

#14 Opera glasses not necessary

Opera gets a bad wrap. The super soprano parts can be rough, but it really has a lot going for it. The costumes are amazing, it's filled with witty wording(yes some loses its eloquence in translation) and classic songs and story lines. You can't deny the talent a singer must possess to project and hold any of those notes. I've only seen one opera in my life in Louisville and it was final dress rehearsal and an English piece so not really the whole "opera" experience. I was curious to see if I really would like this art form and thought it'd be a great experience this year. I was not disappointed!
Bohemian National Hall Stage
I didn't want to go to a light opera (which seems to be popular) I wanted the whole shebang but to my dismay Cleveland does not have a regular opera company. I figured with the 2nd largest theater district, world class orchestra an opera company would be a no brainer. Guess not.

Off to find alternative methods to complete this task...

I rarely go to the movies and I do remember somewhere in the foggy depths of my brain an add during the previews to watch opera met at theater. I gathered my trusty Google search and found fathom events You can watch different operas through out the season from the Met. There are trailers, guides and previews for each show. They show in theaters all over the nation and you get nice comfy seat and no need to be so far away that the singers look like ants!
if you are going to the opera you better look the part!
Score got to re wear a bridesmaids dress
The shows are always on Wednesday nights with Saturday encore performances and each month there is a different showing. There are subtitles and you can get synopsis of opera on line. Tickets are just as much as a movie ticket. I know it's not the same as seeing it live but what a bargain. April 5th & 9th Pucinni La Boheme is playing! Check out more info at the Met's Live in HD homepage

I was just about to go to one of the fathom shows when I found randomly a group called Opera Circle. They perform a few times a year and lucky enough they were performing: La Traviata great Italian classic. (Moulin Rouge is pretty much based off of it)  Brindisi "the drinking song" is one of more well known songs from this opera..I've been humming it non stop since going. 

It was held at the Bohemian National Hall off East 55th and this is one of those old gorgeous buildings from the 1800's. It was a treat to explore during intermission and look at all the photos and native Czech outfits. The Cleveland Women's Orchestra accompanied the performers and they were just as amazing artists as the singers. The opera was a blast and I can't wait to go again! 

view from the balcony

No comments:

Post a Comment