Monday, January 20, 2014

Organizing part 3 - Around the house DIY

Here are a few tips and easy projects you can do around the house to keep organized.

magnetic makeup holder & necklace organizer
IN THE BATHROOM

I will admit I love makeup (Sephora can be my best friend or bank accounts worst enemy) and I have a hard time changing things up if I don't see my options. I used to store it in make up bags but got stuck in the same old color rut. I saw a magnetic board on pinterest years ago and haven't looked back. I can quickly see what colors I have and for an unintended bonus when I travel the magnets stick together so makeup is nice and compacted. Magnets will also hold the ever elusive bobby pins and tweezers!

Making the board is a bit of an undertaking. The biggest issue is finding metal that fits your frame. I didn't want to buy tin snips so I first found sheet metal at hardware store and then found a frame that would fit it. I broke out my trust spray adhesive (for tips of usage check out my other post Wedding Ring Holder) and simply attached metal to back of picture frame.
To get your make up to stick I have used both strong magnets 8+ circle attached with hot glue gun and weaker 4+ strength sticky squares. Both magnet types are useful the stronger magnets hold heavier compacts but are tricky to get off the board. The weaker magnets are great for odd shapes like mascara and can attach to plastic tubes with out fear of melting, but do tend to only work for lighter objects.

Necklaces especially long ones I think tangle on their own when I don't look. I found that using shower curtain hooks (I got the double sided ones) was a great way for me to separate and see what kind of jewelry I have. I am not the biggest morning person so anything that can streamline my getting ready in the wee hours of the day is a plus in my book.

jar to hold brushes 
Another easy project to go along with magnetic makeup board is some place for your brushes. I simply got a square vase and plastic pellets from craft store. Dumped pellets in and stuck in brushes. They stand up straight and I don't have to go searching through a big bag anymore for my specific eyeliner brush.
love it!
KITCHEN/LAUNDRY ROOM

For under the sink this helps keep the cleaning product clutter down to a minimum. You'll need a sturdy tension rod that fits the length under the sink. Place tension rod about 5 inches from top of cabinet and hook your spray bottles using the trigger area. You'll have a ton of extra space underneath to fit all those odd shaped buckets and gadget.



IN THE CLOSET
Have a plethora of scarves and tank tops? Here is something you can do in under 5 minutes! All you need is a sturdy hanger and shower curtain hook rings.
 I was swarmed with scarves I seriously think they multiplied during storage in the warm weather months. I've used this trick for a couple years now (thanks pinterest circa 2011) and it's great space saver and time saver to pick out a scarf in the morning.
hmm maybe I should branch out in my color choices
This winter I started using this concept for my tank tops as they were taking over a whole drawer and I could never find the color I wanted. I need to figure out a way to put a stopper between rings as they like to congregate to one side that's my mission this week. At least they are out of the drawer!

Are your boots flopping everywhere? Well you can buy pricey boot forms I have a few and they work wonders but my boots are multiplying faster than I can afford them. Simple solution pool noodles!

It might be a bit tough to find this time of year but simply take the cheaper skinny ones and cut to desired size. Use a box cutter or sharp knife, it can be a bit tricky. Tada you have custom boot forms to whatever boot length you have.
Psst with the left over noodle can make light sabers, who wouldn't want to have jedi battles in your closet ..oh it's just me? sigh*


didn't see the other organization posts yet? check them out
calendars & dry erase projects part 1
communication projects part 2



1 comment: