Thursday, September 19, 2013

#3.4 Dragon Pasta


*yum*

I am a bit of a wuss when it comes to spicy foods and typically stay far far away from the heat. I saw this recipe on one of my favorite blogs: Budget Bytes. I recently sampled Sriracha for the first time without dying so I figured it was a must try recipe. Also woo hoo it helps complete #3 list item: cooking 20 vegetarian dishes!

 This is a great dish with just the right amount of spice. It's quick and easy to make with few dishes to clean up (bonus). It took me longer to get the store and back for fresh cilantro than it did to make. This pasta is a great base and additional ingredients can be customized to your taste. I think next time I'll add shrimp and some veggies to give it a crunch mmm maybe a little lime too! 

*few simple ingredients for this quick dish*

Dragon Pasta
time: 15 minutes
serves: 2
Ingredients
  • 4 oz.noodles  (lo mein, soba, fettuccine, linguine)
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
  • 1 large egg 
  • 1 Tbsp brown sugar 
  • 1 Tbsp soy sauce 
  • 1 Tbsp sriracha 
  • 1 handful fresh cilantro 
  • 1 sliced green onion 
Instructions
  1. Begin to boil water for the noodles. Once the water reaches a full boil, add the noodles and cook according to the package directions.
  2. While waiting for the water to boil, prepare the sauce. In a small bowl stir together the brown sugar, soy sauce, and sriracha.
  3. In a large skillet melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium-low heat. Add the red pepper to the butter as it melts. Whisk an egg in a bowl and then add to the melted butter. Stir gently and cook through. Once the egg is done cooking, turn off the heat.
  4. When the noodles are tender, drain the water and then add them to the skillet with the cooked egg. Also add the prepared sauce. Turn the heat on to low to evaporate excess moisture, and stir until everything is coated well with the sauce. Sprinkle the sliced green and cilantro leaves (whole) on top and serve!
source: Budge Bytes 
sauce-this little goes a long way!

I used fettuccine noodles since I had that box on hand opened already. While waiting for noodles to cook I mixed up the sauce , I used only 1/2 Tbsp of Sriracha and it was plenty spicy for me. I also cut the green onions and prepped cilantro. You don't need to cut cilantro just pull leaves off stems. 
mmm don't you just love the smell of  fresh cilantro!

When noodles are close to done melt butter in pan and add pepper flakes. Whisk egg in bowl and then add to butter. If you do this too early you'll get cold eggs EW! When egg is cooked turn down heat and drain pasta. 

eh the eggs I could take it or leave it, but I guess it's a good bit of protein for now

Add drained pasta and sauce to eggs, keep on low heat to evaporate moisture. I really didn't have to keep dish on heat long there was very little extra moisture. 


Sprinkle in green onions and cilantro and enjoy! This dish reminded me a little bit of pad thai (my favorite). I will for sure being making it again as it was super quick, easy and tasty!

such a pretty dish too!

PS Happy International Talk Like A Pirate Day!
Argh! you didn't know that was today well check out this page for all the details and ways to celebrate

No comments:

Post a Comment