Thursday, March 26, 2015

Beauty DIY: Dry Scalp Oil treatment


This is the winter that just won't quit...it actually snowed today! I have pretty sensitive skin but the winter wrecks complete havoc on it. Usually I have combination skin and don't have issues with a dry scalp.  With the heat going our house gets so dry and it just zaps moisture out of everything. We have humidifiers running constantly but still is not enough! Once the temperature starts to fluctuate I sometimes get a flaky scalp yuck not attractive especially when 90% of my wardrobe is dark colors. I saw this DIY hot oil treatment on pinterest and figured why not try it. What is the worst that could happen I smell like an antipasto tray?

  • Heat up about 1/4 c of oil, be sure not to get it too hot, I used the double boil style method. 
    •    Original post said any kind works (grape seed, veggie, olive, etc) I picked olive oil because it was handy, I don't mind the smell and working in a pizza place during high school I know my skin won't have a reaction to it. 
  • Part hair starting on top in the middle and gently rub in to scalp using fingers or sponge. Continue every 1/2 inch or so making parts. Be sure to get all the way in the back and around nape as this is where my hair seems to dry out the most.  
    • This step was a bit tricky and I only used one had to apply and one to part so I didn't turn into a giant oily mess.
now the waiting
  • Wrap hair in shower cap or saran wrap and wait a minimum of 30 min. to let oil soak into scalp
    • I got caught up in a task so I waited 2 hours but you you can go for even longer than that
  • Wash hair and style as usual
    • I had to wash it twice to get all the oil out, but my hair smelled fine
  • Recommended to repeat once to every other week if needed
Overall my hair did not smell like olive oil and my scalp was not as dry but wasn't an oil slick either. So maybe this does work after all I'll see how the week goes!


this Crane cool mist is my go to humidifier
we have them all over the house!

No comments:

Post a Comment