Saturday, August 31, 2013

#3.3 Homemade Veggie Calzone


 I've had some great vegetarian dishes out at restaurants lately but one little word on my list voids those as being completed:COOK. Hmm only 8 months left time to get cooking!

*The calzone making process:
 rolling out dough, adding the toppings,
getting ready to bake & enjoying the masterpiece* 

As part of our most recent super date- Italiano style for dinner I decided to make homemade calzones.  The dough is made from scratch (see recipe below) and I had a plethora of veggies in the fridge to choose from for toppings. If I had more time I would have made the sauce from scratch too but it turned out delicious anyways.

The dough recipe is very easy and pretty quick to throw together.It has a nice light flavor, rises minimally, and turns just the right amount of crusty when baked.  It's a great base I'll be using it again for sure. I might play with adding spices to give it more flavor. I don't think you can ever go wrong with rosemary!


Dough 
1 c. warm water
1 T. yeast
1 t. salt
1 t. sugar
1 T. oil
2 ½ c. flour
Combine yeast and water. Mix till dissolved and bubbles. Add salt, sugar, and oil. Add flour, stirring until dough pulls away from bowl. Turn onto floured surface and knead in any loose  flour. Form ball and place in greased bowl. Place bowl in warm oven or near heat. Let dough rise till double in size. Roll dough out. Cover dough with sauce and desired toppings. Fold over dough, seal edges, and place on baking sheet. Bake in 375 degree oven for 20 minutes or so. Note the color of the dough does not change so don't expect a golden brown to signal it's done. 

Inside Ingredients
I used Ragu 7 herb tomato sauce it was a perfect blend of spices and tomato flavor and didn't mask the cheese or toppings. For cheese I used both shredded low fat mozzarella and shredded Parmesan. Toppings I used: broccoli, red pepper, mushrooms, olives, and fresh tomato. The man made a non vegetarian calzone along with above veggies he used capicola and prosciutto both excellent additions!

It was a great meal and made more than enough leftovers for lunch the next day. It was excellent a second time around and the crust did not get soggy at all. 

Dough recipe from a Dating Divas post. Thanks it was perfect! 

No comments:

Post a Comment