Tuesday, August 27, 2013

#21.1 Going to the Zoo, Zoo, Zoo...How about you?

Oops...I found this draft lost to the bottom of posts sorry for the delay in recapping my first completed list item!
*Go to a zoo... Check*

With the help of my sisters and a few friends W devised a surprise weekend getaway to celebrate my 30th birthday. I have to give them all kudos for actually keeping it a secret from me. I knew something was in the works and it was so hard for me not to go snooping. I'm glad the weekend was a complete surprise because I had a great time and it was so nice to see old friends and family!


We started the adventure by meeting everyone at Marcella's in the Short North for dinner. The atmosphere was so much fun! There were numerous bachelorette, birthday, and other celebrations all there too. The concierge at our hotel recommended the veal meatball as an appetizer. Great suggestion, it was seriously best thing I've ever tasted in my life! As a warning maybe it should be called veal meatloaf unless it's a meatball for giants. 

*The birthday conspirators*

Every birthday celebration needs a cake and my sister drove one up special from a well known Cincinnati bakery, BonBonerie. Apparently this cake had been a topic of discussion before my arrival as being "perfect" for me. If you know my family birthday cake/pie is a serious thing in our household. Offering to provide a cake is not a task to be taken lightly because getting the wrong cake design or flavor brings eternal shame.

 I really didn't know what to expect since we were at a restaurant. So when a shiny chocolate glazed cake (bleh) arrived with A LOT of decorative rainbow butterflies (double bleh) I just smiled and played along. As the brightly colored candles were quickly melting all over I heard a yelp and looked up. I noticed the look of horror on my sister's face as she repeated over and over "not the cake, not the cake".  I was so confused! Apparently the server switched the cakes..oops sorry for getting wax all over you {um interesting} cake other birthday person. 


*imagine more butterflies and chocolate glaze VS the real one*

We were relieved that the real cake was found (intact) and a cake calamity was averted. Everyone got to enjoy the well anticipated gift wrapped styled,Tiffany blue, opera cream torte. Great job S, this cake lived up to it's reputation! Hmm maybe I should plan a trip to Cincinnati soon, who's birthday is next?  

After dinner we all stopped for some drinks at a nearby pub. Next my sisters, our men and I went on to Big Bang Piano bar. You can never go wrong heading to a dueling piano bar. Later that night I lured W into sampling some street food...he didn't seem as excited by gyros at 3 am on the corner of Vine and Park as I was. The picture below of his face is just priceless! The next day W & I headed to Schmidt's for lunch and on to the zoo!

*Post Dinner Fun*

I've always loved the Columbus Zoo and don't mind going again and again. I don't know if it is Jack Hanna's influence, the variety of animals, or programs they offer that make this one of my all time favorite zoo's to visit. I must be in good company because the Columbus Zoo consistently ranks as one of the top 10 zoos in the USA (usually in the top 5).

My favorite part of the zoo is one of the smaller areas, but for me most entertaining section: the manatee aquarium. Due to the tank set up you are able to be nose to nose with the manatees as they swim right up to the glass. These guys seem to be always eating or doing something active! As a bonus it's air conditioned so it helps beat the heat on those scorching  days!
*Zoo Animals*

 In my opinion the best event(and one you should not miss) is in the winter: Wildlights. It is a nighttime event that runs a month or so prior to the holidays. The whole zoo gets transformed into a fairy land with over 3 million Christmas lights decorating the zoo. With a little snow on the ground it is pure magic! Each year they add something new, this year celebrates  their 25th. I hope to make it down to check it out this year. 

*beautiful*


No comments:

Post a Comment